Saturday, October 30, 2010

Being Coached and strength training

So, I decided to hire myself a coach.

I've been thinking about it for a while, mostly because I want someone with some objectivity to make up my weekly training program.  I like what I've done in the past, and I've learned a lot.

I just want to try something different.

My first week started off with some cross training (I chose biking for cardio) and some resistance training.  Nothing amazingly intense- lunges, squats, steps ups, and some core work.  But it was enough to get me sore for a couple of days, in an uncomfortable but not all the way to pain type way.  Except when I sneezed.  That hurt.

But the interesting part was the effect it had on my running, especially with respect to hills.  I've always approached hills with a consistent effort type idea.  Now, even though my muscles were sore, I could power up the hills.  The muscles liked working hard, or something.

It'll be curious to see what happens in the future- if I ask to do it more than once per week, and if I continue to see its effects on my running.  And if my running really does become better because of it.

I contracted for the next two months to take me to a Fat-Ass 50K  on December 19th.  If it goes well, I'll renew for a longer term- hopefully to help me run a 3:15 at Bayshore.  That's the plan, at least.  I'll try to keep you posted on how it goes.

No comments: