Monday, December 17, 2007

RUT team run...

I have a new favorite running quote:

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon!" (unknown- a cursory web search revealed nothing)

So it was on a Sunday where 4-8" of snow had already been dumped on us, and the forecast threaten up to 10" more, four intrepidly foolish souls decided to run Pontiac Rec, a 10 mile loop of hills, twists and turns.

It's my home course, and I've run it dozens of times, but this put a whole new spin on it. Not just because of the snow, but (first) running it with significantly more experienced trail runners than I and (second) going around clockwise rather than counter clockwise. Old terrain seems bright and new.

I had water, and I'm glad I brought it. I had Yak Trax, which helped too- though they tended to wander on my feet. Bit annoying. I didn't have gaiters, which I'll have to look into the next time I go for a run that has snow occasionally deeper than my knees. And I had that wonderful threat, from my friend G~, who at the end of the run said "I'll get you for this!"

No comments: