Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Q1 week one

Daniels' schedule is a little different than most. instead of charting out exactly how much you should do each day of the week, he suggests a certain percentage of max volume and two quality workouts (Q workouts). the rest are supposed to be easy, aerobic miles.

so today was the first of my interval sessions. it wasn't a difficult session- essentially, do something between 4.5-6 miles ofrunning four minutes hard and three minutes easy pattern. Warm up and cool down. No problem.

except I started having that shin thing again during the first mile. talk about annoying. So I stopped and stretched and thought that I'd go to 1.5 miles- if it gets better, i'll continue the workout. If it gets worse, I'll call it a day.

Thankfully it went away, and at two miles I started the program. it went well- I ran at something faster than my 5K pace, i think, but not straining if you know what I mean. I my paces for the up temo bits were 7:25, 7:02, 7:02, 7:02, 7:02 and 7:02.

So I was pretty pleased with my consistency. i also counted strides, and found myself at the 93-96 strides per minute (186-192 steps) which is... pretty good. better than i thought. No problems with my shins after that first mile. And it just felt... fun. :)

Next Q workout is a long run- 2 hours or 25% of my weekly mileage (14 miles) whichever is least. Seven miles per hour is about an 8:36 pace (if I've done my math right) which is certainly doable on a paved surface. not so likely on trails. Hm... I'll have to see what happens.

No comments: