Saturday, December 19, 2009

Week two down, 16 to go!

... well, almost. I figure I won't have time to update tomorrow- it's going to be a busy day. All I have is a 10 mile easy run, though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

And I did the two Q workouts happily, so that's the important thing.

The first Q workout sort of happened by accident. Originally, I was supposed to run easy with my running group, then retire to the treadmill to do a tempo run of 20-40 minutes. What actually happened is I liked up with a guy in my running group who chose a pace right within my tempo pace. Worked out well.

The second Q workout was intervals. I just did them by feel, and the average of the five were fairly close to the intervals I did last week. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to maintain that sort of regularity, though. Two of the intervals were sub-7, though, so that was good. Perhaps I'll be able to make them all so by the end of the training cycle. I certainly hope so.

More thoughts-
It's easier to run at a high cadence on flats. Without snow. In lighter shoes.
Need to work on running mantras, and how to distract myself when the time is right.
If I want to do something more than an easy run, there may be people out there who are interested in the same thing. Keeping up with them might be exactly what I need.
I still don't know if I want to do Bayshore, either the half or full. North Country 50 mile is also an option on the table, but I'm not certain how big of one.

next week- 49 miles total. The two Q workouts, both intervals. The first is a two mile warm up, 5X 5 minutes at 7:41 with a one minute rest, and then an hour easy as cool down. The second is 3X 1 mile at a 7:02 pace with five minute rest interval. I'm going to assume a two mile warm up and cool down, though it's not specifically mentioned in the text.

Difficult on Christmas week. I'll see what I can do. oh, and I want to do the Fat Ass 50K on Saturday. That's going to be interesting to try to fit in...

No comments: