Monday, January 25, 2010

Losing weight

Losing weight during marathon training can be pretty hard. Appetite ramps up, there's a danger of shorting yourself nutrients which would hamper recovery, and making healthy eating choices at any time can be difficult. An exercise in self control.

Personally, I've never been all that adamant about weight loss. My attitude has almost always been "if it happens, great, I'll probably be a faster runner for it, and less weight will be less shock on the body." I have noticed, though, that I look a bit gaunt when I hit 165.

I'm okay with that. So anyway, looking back to when I started this season's training, I was coming in fairly regularly at 175 in November, which isn't that bad. A month later in December, my weights were averaging out to 172.

Lately, I've been hovering in the 170 area, sometimes a couple of pounds lower, sometimes a bit higher. So I'm at roughly a half pound of weight loss per week, which is pretty sustainable, I think. And healthy, to a certain point.

If I'm able to keep it up, and don't get injured, I might be at the happy weight of 165 at Martian again, which would be kind of nice. It'll be interesting to see what I can do- if fortune holds for me and I don't do anything stupid.

but honestly, what are the chances? :)

No comments: