Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mmmm... sunlight

I don't know how people who don't run during the winter do it.

Today is a bright and beautiful day, if a bit cold. The sky is blue, the sun is bouncing off the snow, and I feel my eyes greedily taking in as much full spectrum light as possible.

And there I was, running through the woods like I haven't a care in the world, except in trying to keep each step light and easy, fast but relaxed. I was out, and it keeps me from cabin fever. My blood was moving, endorphins were being released, and I was burning calories.

Pontiac Rec isn't the easiest course, but the past couple of days I've been able to run it without walking the hills or feeling winded when I got to the top of them. I don't mind walking hills- it's good ultra training, and when the terrain is treacherous it can keep ankles from being sprained and the like. But it feels awfully nice to have the choice.

And more- the miles rolled by like friends, not like a job to be done. I was no more happy to see my car at the end as to hit mile seven, or mile three. Though I gotta admit, the coffee, and later the shower, felt awfully nice.

tomorrow I run 16-17. I hope that they're as zen as today!

No comments: