Monday, March 15, 2010

The first in what I imagine to be a long series of complaints

I'm worried about taper for this cycle.

I've never done well with a long taper- I usually eat to much, don't stress the muscles enough and feel lethargic on game day.  Three weeks after my last hard week usually finds me rested, sure, but having felt like I lost my edge and not quite where I want to be when I start the race.

What I'm feeling now is the start "taper madness" and it may be the hardest part of the training cycle for me.

So I did my last 100% mileage week five weeks out from the race.  Last week I could have gone out with friends and run a lot more, but I'm trying to stick to the schedule.  It's going to get harder as the time progresses.  After maintaining 60-70 miles weeks for a while, being forced into the 50s, and even the 40's will be difficult.  I might have to promise myself a set number of hours exercising per week, after the race, just to keep sane.

Expect more ranting on this topic- and probably the same lines over and over again- over the next few weeks.  I'll try not to be too repetitive...

No comments: